One of my favorite holiday treats to make that ais always a hit is Christmas coal. Not only is it always a hit, but it’s super simple and quick to make. Honestly, the most time consuming part is deciding how you want to package and present your coal. This easy peasy Christmas treat is super cute and just perfect to give away to friends and neighbors or share at the office or a holiday party!
There are lots of variations on this popular holiday treat, but you can take it from . . . this one’s a winner.
- 16 oz. of Oreo Cookies
- 4 Cups of Miniature Marshmallows
- 1/4 Cup of Butter
- One gallon Zip-loc bag
- Rolling pin or measuring cup
- Silicone spatula
- Cookie sheet
- Wax paper
- Pam butter spray
- Line your cookie sheet(s) with wax paper.
- Place Oreo cookies in a gallon size Ziploc Bag.
- Using a rolling pin or measuring cup crush the Oreo cookies into small pieces.
- Place butter and marshmallows in a bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir marshmallows and butter until smooth with silicone spatula. (I lightly spray my spatula with butter spray to help prevent the mixture from sticking.)
- Add in crushed Oreos and stir well using your silicone spatula.
- Use your hands to grab a few fingers worth of your sticky mixture to create a “coal” shape, as large or small as you like. I occasionally spray a little butter spray onto my hands to prevent the marshmallow mixture from “caking” up as I transfer the coal bites. I like to place the mixture on the wax paper lined cookie sheet(s) with as little “shaping” as possible to let it retain a more natural “broken” look.
- Repeat until mixture is gone.
- Allow your coal bites to cool completely before storing.
- Transfer into an airtight container. I line my containers with wax paper and separate the layers of coal with additional rounds of wax paper to prevent everything from sticking together.
Boxed and tied up with a string, in gift bags bound up with a bow, or in a tin in your fridge to enjoy with your family, your Christmas coal will be ready to fuel all of your holiday merriment.
From Bethlehem to wherever you are in this old, wide world and from our home to yours, Merry Christmas from the Santa Dad!